Search This Blog

Monday 13 May 2019

TRIP TO BLAIR DRUMMOND SAFARI PARK

Hello everybody! I am back!

I took a few months off blogging because I've had exams at uni and various other things going on, but my exams are almost over and I should have more time to spend on blogging and my Instagram rather than revising!

This blog is all about my trip to Blair Drummond Safari and Adventure Park. I went to Scotland for a long weekend last week with Callum and on the way up to Fort William, we stopped to look at all the animals. On Friday night we stayed in a lovely little B&B just down the road from the Safari Park.

Hillview Cottage is a gorgeous little B&B tucked away just off the main road. We arrived late afternoon and were made to feel very welcome by the owner Jon, who showed us to our room. Below are a few pictures taken off the website, I'll leave a link to it here.

We had a cosy night in the guest house- there is a gorgeous lounge area to relax in, as well as a TV in each room, and tea and coffee facilities. We had a nice ensuite with a lovely powerful shower.
In the morning, Jon cooked Full English Breakfasts and cereals and fruit were also available.

Once we'd eaten, we said goodbye to Hillview Cottage and headed over to the Safari Park for 10, so we could get in early before it got too busy. (All pictures from the Safari Park are my own)

We made our way around the park and looked at all the amazing animals. I have been to the Safari Park many times before- the first time when I was two years old (see pictures below!)


Blair Drummond Safari Park have a 'Link To The Wild' conservation initiative which supports projects chosen by the keepers. These projects aim to help animals in the wild lead better and safer lives. To find out more about the individual projects, click here.


I was glad we got there early, because the park got really busy later on. There are restaurants and food stalls around the park, as well as a BBQ area. You can take your own picnic in too.

If you're visiting with children, there is a huge playpark with swings, slides, a sandpit and a huge adventure play fort, so they can let off some steam. Blair Drummond Safari Park have over 350 different animals, including a Bird of Prey Centre- so your little ones should be entertained!


The safari walk is home to meerkats, otters, penguins and red ruffed lemurs. You can walk onto a platform to see the tigers in their enclosure. We went back and forth three times without seeing any tigers, then on the fourth attempt, we saw two gorgeous Amur tigers.


The pet farm houses alpacas, llamas, goats, horses, pigs, rabbits, sheep and various fowl. Back in the main area near the gift shop is an outdoor pool for sea lions, which leads back into the sea lion presentation area. We watched a show and saw how intelligent these creatures are.



 We wandered around the park and saw peacocks, elephants, rhinos and had an interesting talk with some of the researchers about the giraffes.






We took a boat trip around Chimpanzee Island. I always love sailing to see the chimps, and as we were fairly early, the queue wasn't big so the boat wasn't too busy either. We got told all about the chimps on the island and were asked how to identify a chimp from a monkey. (Monkeys have long tails- chimps do not).



Then we went to Lemur Land (which is my favourite part). Ring-tailed lemurs are one of my favourite animals and I loved watching them climbing and playing with each other. You could walk around Lemur Land with the lemurs free to come and investigate you, which I love! Below is a picture of me trying not to startle the lemur, and I will pop a selfie I took with one on my Instagram story!


Then we got back into the car and started the Safari Drive! I asked Callum to drive so that I could take some pictures of the animals. The 'animal drive-thru', as we kept calling it, started with various cattle and deer (and other deer-like creatures!)

 
We also saw a rhino and several zebra. I believe some of the zebras used to be in the enclosure with the giraffes, but now they are all in the Safari Drive.




There were camels and bison and more deer in the last enclosure, but I always love driving through the lion enclosure. The lions were sunbathing when we visited and they looked so peaceful as we drove past. You may have already seen my Instagram post of the sleeping lions, but I'll post the picture again here.






There was also a macaque house drive-through enclosure, but this was optional and I decided I wouldn't risk taking the car in there as the monkeys have been known to cause damage and rip off wing mirrors! If you've watched the episode of Peter Kay's Car Share when John and Kayleigh drive off with a monkey on the car, you'll recognise the park as that episode was filmed there!

Here's a throwback from 2008 when I met the giraffe that Peter Kay and Sian Gibson got a picture with (they totally copied me).






I hope you enjoyed this blog, head over to my Instagram account (@thatmardyyorkshirelass) to see more pictures on my story highlights.

If you're going to Blair Drummond Safari Park soon, tag me in your pictures so I can see what you got up to!

Until next time,

Charlotte x

No comments:

Post a Comment